|In 1909, Rafael Weill & Company moved to a|
new, terra-cotta faced structure after its original
store was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake.
|The gleaming white facades of the 1909 building were|
wholly appropriate to the store's name; though the
building became a icon in San Francisco, the store
spread across the block to Grant Street in various
annexes and additions.
|Like its competitor, The City of Paris, The White House|
was known for its french atmosphere. In fact he store
bore more than just a passing resemblance to the great
Parisian department stores like "Au Bon Marché."
Raphael Weil & Co.
256 Grant Avenue
San Francisco, California
20th and Webster