|The 12-story 1962 Mabley & Carew store|
on Fountain Square. Previously, the store
occupied space in the Carew Tower
from 1930 to 1962, and on
Fountain Square from 1884-1930.
|"A Good Store"|
|Western Hills Plaza|
Glenway Avenue and Werk Road
September 15, 1955
US 25 Reading at Langdon Farm Road
November 20, 1960
The Garden Room
High Street and Journal Square
March 2, 1964
1101 Central Ave. at Broad St.
March 2, 1964
7500 Beechmont Avenue
October 6, 1969
Strawberry Shortcake Shop
|Christopher Mabley &|
Joseph Carew (L to R)
Mabley considered opening a store in the south, and in 1877, headed to Memphis with Carew to look for a location for the new venture. However, circumstances caused a missed connection in Cincinnati, where the men were forced to stay overnight. During their stay in the Queen City, they decided to explore the city, and found a seventeen-foot wide storefront on the north side of Fountain Square (next to Lodge Alley) that seemed ideal for the venture they sought to found.
Mabley put Carew in charge of the C.R. Mabley Co. of Cincinnati; with Carew's success in managing the store, Mabley took him into partnership and the store was renamed Mabley & Carew, a name Carew kept in place after Mabley's death in 1885. The store, originally a men's clothing store, added a full line of clothing by 1890, and carried crockery and household goods in its basement, as it grew to occupy six whole storefronts on the square.
|Mabley & Carew's building from 1891|
An 1888 purchase of the building at the corner of Fountain Square led to the 1891 rebuilding of the whole store into a handsome, six-story edifice that was traditionally beautifully illuminated at night. The store was incorporated on February 10, 1893 under sole owner J. T. Carew.
|The "podium" of the Carew Tower complex|
housing Mabley & Carew
The big news of 1929 was that Mabley & Carew would vacate its Fountain Square premises for five floors and a basement in the new Carew Tower being built kitty-corner from the store. Once known as Cincinnati's "Mammoth Clothing House," Mabley & Carew settled into its luxurious new quarters in the landmark art-deco skyscraper, adjacent to the elegant Netherland Plaza Hotel., and across the building's arcade from the expanded quarters of the H. & S. Pogue Co.
|Mabley & Carew in the Carew Tower|