|A great new book by a|
devoted Cincinnati author
that covers Pogue's
|Pogue's 1916 building on the corner of 4th and Race Streets.|
The smaller buildings to the east on 4th Street
were occupied by Pogue's as well.
|The 1916 building was designed to replace the|
older buildings used by the store, but this vision
remained elusive and only the first four bays
|This 1932 image advertised the new "Greater Pogue's"|
that included the store's familiar older buildings as
well as the new portion within the Carew Tower.
In 1930, Pogue's occupied part of the Carew Tower
complex at 5th and Race Streets.
Pogue's 4th Street store is visible next to the
Art-Deco structure of the Carew Tower, which
also housed the beautiful Netherland Plaza Hotel.
The Arcade of the Carew Tower,
with Pogue's on one side,
and Mabley & Carew on the other.
Mabley & Carew left the complex
when Rollman's & Sons went
out of business and became
Mabley's flagship, allowing Pogue's
to expand into its Fifth Street space.
|Pogue's Camargo Room opened on|
the sixth floor in 1964
|The Ice Cream Bridge offered sweets and|
food on the bridge over the arcade that
connected the Fourth Street and
Fifth Street buildings.
|Pogue's erected a large parking|
facility across Race Street from
the main store buildings.
410 Race Street
Sporting Goods • Receiving
QuickSnack • Health & Beauty Aids • Personal Care
Lower Arcade Budget Store
Fine Jewelry • Mineral and Gem Gallery • Fashion Jewelry • Watches and Clocks • Silver Gallery • Jewelry Repair • Beauty World • Fine Fragrances • Toiletries • Plaza Millinery • Plaza Sportswear • The Eye Ball Shoppe • Handbags • Small Leather Goods • Gloves • Belts • Fashion Accessories • Hosiery • Rain Shop • Lingerie • Robes • Daywear • At-Home Shop • Gifts • Calculators • Greeting Cards • Stationery • Notions • Camera Shop • Coins & Stamps
The Fourth Street Market Epicure • Bakery • Wine Shop • Fine Candies • Godiva Boutique • Flowers By Pogue's • The Wine Bar
Top Shop • Arcade Sportswear • Young Cincinnatian Shoes • Plaza Shoes
Men's Store Men's Bar • Men's Accessories • Men's Furnishings • Men's Shirts and Ties • Men's Hats • Men's Sport Furnishings • Men's Active Sportswear • Tennis Shop • Men's Pendleton Shop • Men's Lifestyle • Luggage
Shoe Salon • Aigner Shop • Pappagallo • Sportswear • Dresses • Coats • Figure Shop • Women's World
Camargo Shops Camargo Dresses • Camargo Casuals • Camargo Knits • Camargo Coats • Camargo Sportswear • Camargo Active Sportswear • Camargo Blouses • Camargo Sweaters • Camargo II • Young Camargo
Specialty Shops Miss Couture • Country Clothes Shop • Coat Salon • Suit Salon • Fur Salon • Rose Room • Milinery Salon • Bridal Salon • Formal Salon
Ice Cream Bridge Soda Fountain
Plaza Coats • Plaza Dresses • Maternity
Junior Shops Junior Sportswear • Junior Elegant Shop • Junior Dresses • Junior Coats • Junior Shoes • Junior Lingerie and Robes
Men's Store Men's Clothing • Men's Shoes • International Shop • Contemporary Shop • Alumni Shop
House & Town • Uniforms • Fashion Fabrics • Art Needlework • Toys
Young World Boys' wear 3-7 • Student Shop • Izod Shop • Girls' Accessories • Girls' Lingerie • Girls' wear 3-6x • Girls' wear 7-14 • Young Teens • Infants' 1-24 mos. • Toddlers' wear 2-4 • Children's Shoes • Tresses and Curls • Juvenile Furniture
Linens • Bath Shop • Domestics • Blankets • Draperies • Curtains • Floor Coverings • Rugs • Lamps • China • Glassware • Crystal • Table Linens • Gift Bar Shop • Tastesetter Gallery • Pictures and Mirrors • Books • Records • White Sewing Center
Furniture Galleries • Sleep Shop • Baldwin • Paint Center
Housewares • Gourmet Housewares • Appliances • Radio, TV & Stereo • International Art Gallery • Camargo Room Restaurant • Men's Grill • Soup Bar • Personnel • Credit Office • Women's World • Pogue's Travel Bureau • Portrait Studio
April 13, 1959/expanded 1966
60,000/193,000 sq. ft.
160,000 sq. ft.
Ice Cream Parlor
May 20, 1972
153,000 sq. ft.
Florence Mall (1976)
112,000 sq. ft.
|Henry Pogue (1829-1903)|
Isabella Pogue's husband Thomas died in 1838, leaving her with their farm in
Drumcarplin, County Cavan, Ireland, and nine children. When the terrible famine hit the Emerald Isle in the 1840s, Mrs. Pogue and her offspring were faced with starvation, and, at the invitation of her brother John Crawford, decided to seek out a better life on the other side of the Atlantic.
|The original H. & S. Pogue|
store at 100 West Fifth St.
|Pogue's 1878 location on Fourth Street|
Pogues began to expand into the suburbs in the late 1950s, and by 1976 had opened four branches in surrounding communities on both sides of the Ohio River.
|Greater Pogue's (1932)|
The 1963 expansion and renovation was designed by the firm of Raymond Loewy, an early exponent of industrial design in the 1930s. Later, Loewy became famous for the designs of multiple department store interiors and branches. For Pogue's, Loewy's firm gave the store a lovely modern interpretation of French-Provincial design that added to the cachet the store carried as a matter-of-fact.
|Interior of the Northgate store with atrium|
Pogue's was something of a glittering jewel set in downtown Cincinnati, which in the 1970s was one of America's best center-city shopping areas. Pogue's even offered overnight shopping packages in conjunction with the beautiful Netherland hotel to which it was connected in the Carew Tower building. However, with consolidation and cost cutting in the department store industry, the city began losing one after another of its "big four" retailers. In 1988, after Associated Dry Goods was acquired by May department stores, it consolidated the historic and once proudly independent Pogue's with L. S. Ayres & Co. of Indianapolis, and Pogue's name, practically venerated in Cincinnati, disappeared from the city's shopping scene. Citing insubstantial profits, Ayres closed the lovely downtown store in 1988. Within a year, May decided that it preferred not to do business in Cincinnati at all, and closed all of Pogue's remaining branches, most of which became J.C. Penney stores.
After over a hundred years of unbroken success in serving the people of its home town, only memories are left of this gracious and well-loved store, or the family that guided it so well. There was, though, a time when the greatest compliment one could make in the Queen City regarding a piece of merchandise was to use the store's own slogan: "It Came from Pogue's"
|Pogue's locations through 1976|